Although the sun is a great source of vitamin D, too much exposure to its UV rays can be harmful to our skin and cause a number of conditions linked to Sun Damage.
Without any environmental influences, and with maintenance of a steady weight, the skin develops fine wrinkles as we age, but stays clear.
What Are The Main Features Of Sun Damage?
Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun, or sun beds, causes damage to the DNA of our skin cells. In order to protect themselves from further more serious damage, the cells produce melanin which we recognise as a sun tan.
Over time as we age naturally, the skin becomes thinner as the deeper layers become more damaged. On the skin’s surface the Sun Damage shows up as deeper wrinkles, the appearance of brownish flattened Age Spots or red Facial Veins as the skin tries to repair the increasing damage.
How Can I Reduce Sun Damage?
Sun exposure in moderation is beneficial to most people. Simple and sensible precautions are:
- Stay out of the harsh midday sun, especially in hot countries
- Wear loose clothing that protects your skin and enables it to breathe, with a hat to protect your face
- Seek the shade where you can
- Wear a good quality sun cream or sunblock
What Are The Best Treatments For Sun Damage?
There are various treatments that are available to help treat and reverse Sun Damage, but there are specific combinations that we use at Zenith Cosmetic Clinics that are proven to work well, depending on the specific issues that are of concern:
- Retinols are compounds that can help repair the skin and can be used as a serum or cream
- Enhanced Skin Rejuvenation (ESR) is an excellent treatment for red Facial Veins
- CO2 Laser Resurfacing works particularly well for Age Spots
- Chemical Peels are extremely useful where there is a combination of Melasma and Age Spots, or on darker skin types where other treatments are less effective
You will be invited to either our London or Nottingham clinic so that one of our Medical Professionals can assess the area and your skin. During this consultation we will listen to your concerns and be able to advise on the best possible treatments. We will work with you, considering your lifestyle and budget, to develop a unique, successful and convenient Treatment Plan that works for you.