What are lip fillers?
Lip fillers are generally used to add extra volume and plumpness to lips which may be lacking in shape or elasticity. As you age, your lips can become thinner and less defined - lip fillers are a fantastic way to counteract this and make you look younger.
What is the procedure used for?
Lip fillers can be used for a variety of reasons:
- To improve the appearance of smoker's lines or creases
- To reverse a downward smile
- Add volume to thin or thinning lips
- Slightly lengthen the mouth
- Smooth out vertical lines that extend from the lip border (smoker’s lines) or that extend downward from the corners of the mouth (marionette lines)
What happens during the procedure?
At Zenith Cosmetic Clinics, we use temporary, safe dermal fillers such as Juvéderm as lip fillers.
The filler is gently injected into your lips with you checking them every minute or two to make sure you're happy. You are always in control of how much filler is being injected.
After treatment your lips may feel tender for the first couple of days, and you may have the sensation that there is something in your lips.
What are the side effects or risks?
- Discomfort and swelling with the newer creams and fillers such as Juvederm Ultra is minimal. Bruising is uncommon. Less than one in 20 patients get any significant bruising.
- An important thing to remember is that in the unlikely event that you don't like the finished result, the filler can be dissolved in a few hours.
What results can I typically expect?
We use minimal amounts of filler at a time, and check with you at each stage to see what you think. We want you to be happy with your new lips!
Lip fillers are temporary, and the length of time your plumpness will last can vary quite substantially. Some lip fillers can last up to 12 months, whereas others last no more than 3-6 months. The effects improve with every treatment, and your doctor or nurse will advise which filler is most suitable for you.
Factors such as age and smoking have a profound effect on the life of your lip filler.
Before your procedure
A small amount of cream is put onto your lips to make them numb. This takes approximately 15-20 minutes.
- You should not wear makeup on your lips for at least 12 hours after treatement.
- Avoid extreme warm environments ,such as saunas or sunbeds, for up to two weeks after your treatment.